Monday, March 18, 2013

Weekend survival

Last week ended with a Friday visit from one of my grown-up godchildren (I have over two dozen godchildren). She came with her two young children because she had a day off. While she enjoyed watching me scramble about the kitchen, within minutes she offered to help clean. Now this dear soul is the kind of person who enjoys cleaning and there was no way I would dare refuse. To refuse her help would be like refusing to let a mechanic friend fix your car. As she began cleaning, I found myself just standing and watching in awe. It was like watching Leonardo da Vinci paint the Mona Lisa. She was a master.
While the kids played and we conversed, she was able to clean nooks and crannies in the kitchen that would’ve taken me months. She knows she was being nice, I doubt she has any idea at how immensely her gift blessed me and my family (thank you dear one).
Saturday brought two more godchildren (they came not to clean but to continue an ongoing fantasy game that we play), so meals and cleaning were split between my wife and I (thank you Melissa).
Sunday was St. Patrick’s Day.
This day I hosted a long planned St. Patrick’s feast, complete with corned beef and cabbage, and Irish whiskey (the whiskey was a rare and special treat during Lent). More godchildren came and food was had by all (but not the whiskey). I think I was able to balance hosting the feast among my dear friends with maintaining the dishes and other kitchen duties.
My beloved wife (in her infinite wisdom), also insisted that I rest as much as possible from housewife duties (on Sunday). She said this, knowing that a day of rest would put me in a strong position at the dawn of a new week.
Needless to say, however, that from a housewife point of view, Monday’s kitchen was a wreck. Many of the dishes were done but as every housewife knows, an ordered kitchen merely starts with clean dishes.
I’ve always considered myself the “social butterfly” type, but this weekend seemed to take everything out of me. Today I was running about two hours behind. I got the last load in the dishwasher just before midnight, and the kitchen will remain a mess overnight.
As my grandiosity slowly gives way to humility, I am coming to realize and accept that I can’t and won’t get everything done that needs to get done.
Question: Is there a way to keep the kitchen from becoming a total disaster WITHOUT sacrificing time needed to be a proper host?
 

8 comments:

  1. Speaking of Irish whiskey, have you ever tried Celtic Honey? It is an Irish whiskey liqueur that is so delicious and smooth. I had it for the first time on St. Patrick's Day when I went to the local Irish pub to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not. I have had (and prefer Jameson (but can't afford it) and we had Bushmills. We played Quidller to close the night. It was a grand time.

      Delete
  2. if you are able to clean as you go, it makes it much simpler to be a gracious and hospitable host while keeping your kitchen from becoming a disaster area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the attempt but I felt like my hosting responsibilities suffered for it.

      Delete
  3. I would also recommend sleeping more than about four hours per night. You'll find weekends much less exhausting and the work much less daunting if you get some proper rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Proper rest? I am unaware of any parent, single, or teen who gets such a thing. I may blog just on this topic someday. . . after I get some sleep.

      Delete
  4. If there were many godchildren there, then enlist their help with all those kitchen duties. Many wonderful memories are built in a kitchen -- including memories that come from cleaning up the mess that is inevitable after a memory-making meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear anonymous,
      You are a very wise person. You may or may not be a housewife but this bit of wisdom sounds like that of a grandparent. Next godchild gathering will incorporate this advice. The nicest thing about this, is that they will all be willing and most of them can sing (although I can barely hold a tune). I will ask that sing as they help, which will make it all the sweeter. When it happens I will credit you in the blog. God bless you!

      Delete