Saturday, March 16, 2013

Day Two – No dust settles.

Today I spent less time trying to reorder the old system and clean large messes and more time trying to replicate a necessary schedule. In the old days, the only one who kept any kind of schedule was my wife. She seemed to think that scheduled bed times, mealtimes and mealtime cleanup were necessary. While I agreed, I was always reluctant. Now that I carry the burden I know that with my ADD a rigid schedule is necessary.
I remember, as short as a week ago, sitting in my man cave wondering what I should do. I wondered if I should clean it up a bit, work on a book that I’m writing, work on a fantasy game that I game-master, or paint some of my miniatures (for said fantasy game). As of the past two days, I don’t seem to have that problem anymore. As I finished cleaning up after breakfast, I realized that I need to start lunch. And as soon as I finished the lunch cleanup I was faced with the dilemma of cooking dinner.
It looks like everything I do from here on out has to be planned around mealtimes. I have to ask myself, How much extra time can I create in between meals?” Or to put it another way, “How efficient can I be with each meal time, so I have time to do all those other things a housewife does?”
Tools bought today: large dustpan, two hand towels for the kitchen, microwave dish cover (also called a  splatter guard), and dishes exclusive for the family meal.
I only drank 3 cups of coffee (How much coffee does a normal housewife need?).
I am happy to report , however, that there were no shouting matches or meltdowns today. I have been using a system to police myself. In the past, whenever I would shout or grump or speak harshly to my children (and sometimes my wife) I would pay them a dime (and apologize of course). So today, rather than yelling at my 13-year-old when she would sass, roll her eyes or crab at me, I simply charged her a dime.
Plenty of dimes were traded.

No comments:

Post a Comment